Home » » English Slang

English Slang

English Slang:-

Raise:-

What does "money" and "work" have to do with the word "raise"??

Well, as a verb, raise means to elevate, go up, go higher, etc. But as a noun, it can mean an increase in pay or an increase in your salary. So, let’s say that you’re at your job and you want more money... You could say, “I want a raise.” 

“My boss didn’t give me a raise.”

“I’ve worked at this company for five years and they haven’t given me a raise.”

“Yesterday, my boss gave me a raise.”


“Did you get the raise that you wanted?”


“How much is the raise?”

Okay, so in this context, “raise” means an increase in pay.

Well, I hope that you enjoyed this quick lesson and that now you can use the word “raise” in your English conversations to sound more fluent and more natural.
Share this on your favourite network

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Recommend us on Google Plus
Subscribe me on RSS